The ASW 338 Betrayal is a bolt-action sniper rifle used by snipers, and was available for permanent purchase in the third instalment of the Fortune Stars. It is an upgraded model and custom variant of the ASW.338, featuring a darkened, burnt umber exterior with a matte black finish about the stock, grip and scope, and a cosmetic radar visible during the draw animation.
The ASW 338 Betrayal is the first ASW.338 variant to receive enhanced statistics, with the exception of an increase in ammo capacity previously. The increase in damage, range and recoil control in this version all contribute to the lack of a trigger modification – it matches the boost provided by the .338 Lapua Trigger in the original, with one extra damage. This weapon is also the second sniper rifle to be released that permanently displays a cross-hair, the first being the DSR-1 Black Snake.
As the ASW 338 Betrayal has the standard two levels of scope magnification available, its efficacy is notable at the majority of ranges. The magnification provided by default is comparatively slow, but when modified appropriately, it makes locating targets comfortable at the majority of distances. Despite double scope phase sniper rifles typically being associated less with speed, the time it takes to scope out is minimal; enabling heightened mobility and versatility over a number of larger maps.
Similarly to the original, the ASW 338 Betrayal has a fire rate deficiency, so when it's necessary to shoot successively you are strongly advised to quick-switch. The dramatic decrease in the time taken makes this weapon a strong competitor against other fast-paced sniper rifles. It rarely tags due to its high damage and range, however you may still experience tagging when shots land on a target's limbs; but this will most likely occur when they are wearing higher-tiered armor at much longer distances.
In general, the damage dealt by the ASW 338 Betrayal does not appear to be affected by armor – shots to the upper body and neck will still secure the kill, unless the shot has first penetrated another player or surface, where a head-shot would be necessary to avoid tagging. In close quarter-combat, the high accuracy when hip-firing makes no-scoping viable as a last resort. Due to this weapon's high overall reliability, both rushing and passive plays are feasible and is largely down to the user's preference.
- Sharpshooter Scope
|130.5 (-5.5 – 9.5)||97.4||88.8||69.9||0.91||9||89.3|
This set-up makes use of the Sharpshooter Scope which is recommended scope for all situations – it provides two levels of scope magnification and increases the speed at which the animations complete and makes the perceived distances more comfortable. This mount should be familiar to people who have used other popular sniper rifles that utilize the modification such as the FR-F2 and should be preferred over the Quick Scope II, which is slower at scoping in and only provides one level of magnification.
|119.5 (-4.5 – 10.5)||89.9||88.8||69.9||0.91||5||97.5|
The XM2010 ESR is the less commonly used silenced sniper rifle, but due to its statistics and modifications, the observed play-style is exceptionally similar. With reduced damage however, you can expect the XM2010 ESR to tag more often than the ASW 338 Betrayal, making it considerably less reliable; equipping a fast side-arm can help to combat in these situations. Despite this, to those who find quick-switching difficult, the XM2010 ESR has a higher fire rate which makes shooting multiple times easier. The ASW 338 Betrayal's built-in cross-hair and higher one-hit potential tends to make it the preferred choice.
|122.5 (-17.5 – 17.5)||85.2||88.8||69.9||0.86||5||96.7|
The FR-F2 is a renowned sniper rifle and is very popular due to its consistent damage and massive armor penetration. Despite having lower damage and range than the ASW 338 Betrayal, the FR-F2 has proven to be more useful against targets with a higher armor rating due to its penetration statistic. It is also on-par with the ASW 338 Betrayal in terms of its hip-firing capability, but is let down slightly by its speed – having a slower draw and scope-in speed means rushing becomes a less viable option, and leaves you faced with a bigger penalty when missing shots.
• If you intend to rush, or know that you will be facing multiple targets, make sure you have full or high remaining ammo, as the ASW 338 Betrayal can unload its magazine quickly. Quick-switching when engaging groups will help to minimize the recovery time between each shot; take advantage of the increased capacity.
• Although the ASW 338 Betrayal will rarely tag, it is ideal to aim for the torso of targets at long distances. Shots to the limbs will usually secure a kill (depending on how much armor your opponent is wearing), and as such, no-scoping is a viable option at close range if it becomes necessary to do so.
• Having two scope phases and a fast draw speed means that the ASW 338 Betrayal is suited for both rushing and slower paced game play. This weapon performs its best at mid-range, and excels due to its handling. As one of the few sniper rifles to have a built in cross-hair, you can be more conscious of your accuracy.
• The ASW 338 Betrayal was featured as the "jackpot" weapon of the third season of the Fortune Stars, and had an equal chance to be won along with 8 other Betrayal weapons. While you are still able to modify this version of the ASW.338, the trigger has been taken away, partially reducing recurring costs.
• The ASW 338 Betrayal is the first ASW.338 variant to feature increased statistics, with the exception of an ammo increase in previous versions. This weapon still outperforms a fully modified original version with one extra damage. You still need to purchase a mount, however this does not affect the statistics.
• The ASW 338 Betrayal, at the time of release, was the second sniper rifle to feature a built in cross-hair, allowing for constant accuracy monitoring and increased hip-firing efficacy. The first was the DSR-1 Black Snake, which was released as the collection bonus for the fourth season of the Mega Capsules.