Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||[Barrett M82A3] Anti-material rifle using 12.7mm X 99 NATO (.50BMG) cartridge. Range is effective up to 2km. Bipod comes as a standard equipment for stable sniping and rail for additional accessories is also equipped.||”|
|— Weapon Description|
The Barrett M82A3 is a semi-automatic sniper rifle used by snipers, and was the jackpot weapon in various mystery boxes released in both the in-game capsule shop and the on-line item mall. It is an original as opposed to an upgraded model and/or custom variant; based on the real-life weapon of the same name.
The Barrett M82A3 is an extremely high-powered sniper rifle which is primarily characterized by its exceptionally large damage. This dominating factor results in a guaranteed one-shot to one-kill ratio at huge distances, regardless of armor worn or the region of impact. To balance out the advantage, this weapon has very poor usability – having low stability makes it difficult to adjust consecutive shots, and the lack of accuracy means that, at distances past 10 meters, crouching is essential.
Being a semi-automatic weapon, the Barrett M82A3 does not require quick-switching, which reduces the amount of time between successive shots. Given the large amount of recoil, it would however be impractical to fully make use of this weapon's fire rate, and as such, still sees its user commonly taking breaks when firing. Where this weapon's accuracy is only maintainable during crouching, you may find that your mobility is often impaired, so you should be actively seeking cover.
With the Barrett M82A3, both its default scope and the one available scope modification have a high magnification ratio and slow scope-in times, making close-quarters combat extremely difficult. This weapon's users will most often play as far away from potential targets as possible to maximize the range advantage, where this weapon's damage output does not significantly drop under the usual circumstances; tagging will only usually occur when your shot first penetrates another structure.
As the Barrett M82A3 is expected to perform at considerably long range, its use is only effectively used in demolition and other larger maps. You are strongly advised to have a high-powered pistol designed for mid to short-range combat equipped alongside it to complement its close-quarters deficiency. Using this weapon may see you acting more as support for your team; you may find that holding back becomes advantageous, but ironically due to the high magnification it might cause you to engage first.
The Barrett M82A3 has no recommended builds based on the modifications it has available; you are advised to use this weapon as it comes by default. The high-powered scope increases the magnification ratio and causes the scope-in speed to become slower without providing an increase to the base statistics.
|101.0 (-4.0 – 4.0)||98.1||88.8||71.4||0.88||5||91.8|
The PGM.338 is a moderately popular sniper rifle, seen as a classic case of damage being traded off for a reduction in fire rate. This is very similar to the Barrett M82A3 in that both weapons have a large focus on single shot damage. The PGM.338 suffers where its recovery rate is comparatively slower, and its stability is equally undesirable. It has a considerably higher accuracy over the Barrett M82A3 making it easier to use, but it will quite often struggle against higher tiered armors; something which the Barrett M82A3 is a lot more capable of doing.
|111.0 (-4.0 – 4.0)||97.9||88.8||69.9||0.83||5||93.0|
The TPG-1 and the Barrett M82A3 share a similar play-style, owed mainly to their similar modifications, large magnification and slow scope-in time. Again, this is meant to be a reflection of their high damage output, and comes with the unfortunate reduction to usability. The TPG-1, while slightly faster than the Barrett M82A3, doesn't have the same consistent damage and so may occasionally tag, making it less reliable. Of course, where the accuracy is a lot higher, mobility is also increased and therefore comes with a lesser penalty at close range.
- Barret XM209 Railgun
• It is absolutely essential to crouch when firing the Barrett M82A3 at targets farther than 10 meters away. The base accuracy becomes greatly improved while crouching, so you will find it extremely difficult to engage enemies otherwise. The improvement is more apparent the further away you get.
• The Barrett M82A3 has a reasonably fast fire rate, and since its firing is also semi-automatic, it has a big potential damage. However, due to the poor stability, you may find it difficult to fire successive shots accurately. It can be beneficial to take a short break between shots to recover.
• Despite having a scope modification available, the default magnification offered by the standard scope makes the Barrett M82A3 the most comfortable to aim at the majority of longer ranges. This weapon performs its best at the largest range possible, where you'll have the biggest advantage.
• A variant of the Barrett M82A3 with the same name and appearance appears in some annihilation maps. Dependent on the map, it can either physically spawn on the field, or be dropped by Eva Maria Vorel as a boss NPC. It has a greatly improved accuracy over the original, and does not require crouching.
• Despite the Barrett M82A3 having been featured in several themed mystery boxes as the jackpot weapon, it has never had any real significance with the weapons is has been bundled with. To date, this weapon has only ever been made available in mystery boxes and is quite rare as a result.
• The Barrett M82A3 has the highest damage statistic of any weapon in the game, coming in at a staggering 200. This is significantly higher than even the strongest standard sniper rifles, and allows it to largely ignore the distance from your target and usually the armor they wear too.